Monday, April 23, 2012

Through A Soilders Eyes

I wrote this poem the other day. Thought I would put it on my blog. Tell me what you think about it.


Through a Soldiers Eyes

I left my home to defend my country
Said good bye to my friends and family
I didn’t want to let go of my wife
That last thing I wanted to say was bye
I won’t get to throw the football with my son
Or teach him how to shoot his toy gun
My wife in tears and a hole in my heart
Traveling miles away, we will be far apart

We march into war with a straight face
We’re determined to take over this place
The enemy is ready to fight back
But we won’t give them any slack
Though there was fear inside
We continued to fight

When I lay down for bed
The sound of bullets echo in my head
My mother’s bible tucked under my arm as I sleep
And a photo of my wife lies next to me
I think of my buddy that died today
And wonder if I’ll be able to see another day

A few scars, bruises, and dents in my helmet
I’m happy to say I made it
Though it was hard and terrifying at times
I know I fought for what was right
My buddies I will always remember
And the memories will stay with me forever

I can’t wait to tell my wife how much I missed her
I’ll want to hug her forever
I’ll finally get to hold my baby girl
Just to see her will be so unreal
I wonder how much my boy has grown
The war is over and I'm finally going home!


No comments:

Post a Comment